Partial Rupture to A2 Tendon Pulley

by Tom Markiewicz on February 27, 2009

I’ve been struggling with some climbing injuries recently and finally decided to visit a sports medicine doctor highly recommended by a friend. My issues were a recurring finger injury at the base of my right ring finger and pain in my elbows and thumbs. He rather quickly diagnosed the elbows/thumbs as flexor tendinitis and set me on a good rehab path which included mostly changing my bad habits at the computer and strengthening my extensors.

The finger issue was going to be more tricky as he wanted to focus on treating one thing at a time, so since I was going to be off climbing for 3-4 weeks anyway while treating the tendinitis this seemed a reasonable thing to do. Surely this much time off would heal things right?

Well, as soon as I had the green light to (lightly) climb again about two weeks ago, my second day out I started to feel that same pain and tenderness after about 30 minutes of light climbing. After calling the doctor, he referred me to a hand orthopedist.

I had my appointment with him yesterday and was given the sobering, though not surprising, diagnosis of a partially ruptured A2 pulley on my right ring finger.

This is probably the most common finger injury among climbers and now that I’ve had it officially diagnosed, I’ve likely had this injury about a dozen times over the last 18 years of climbing.

Ironically, there’s some good news in here. The bad news is that the pulley has a partial tear and hurts whenever it gets re-aggravated or re-torn.

The good news is that the doctor says there’s nothing that can be done surgically (that would actually benefit my condition) and the only real way to fix this is to not use it at all (i.e. stop climbing for an extended period of time).

Unfortunately, I don’t feel any pain after about 48 hours so it’s tough to know how long to rest. The doctor’s recommended treatment is to slowly start climbing again while doing two things.

First, tape the pulley strongly to give it support and keep it attached to my tendon. This is the second doctor I spoken to who specializes in treating athletes (including numerous climbers) that has strongly recommended taping fingers for pulley injuries. In addition, I’ve injured every single finger on both my hands (yes, including pinkies) and taping has always helped me in the recovery process. Yet, I still meet climbers who tell me taping doesn’t work or even makes the problem worse.

I’m officially going to say it right now – if you read or hear the contrary, that taping for pulley injuries is bad or does not help, it’s probably bullshit and I’d be highly skeptical of anyone stating this as fact. Forget for a moment what any climber or doctor has to say about this. Simply think of the biomechanics involved here. What do the pulleys do? They keep the tendon attached. So using tape for a short period of time while actually climbing is simply going to assist these damaged pulleys do their job. I have a hard time fathoming why climbers resist this idea.

If you’re looking for more information on this from a climbing perspective, I also recommend reading Training for Climbing by Eric Horst. He’s done a ton of research on this over the past thirty years and comes to similar conclusions.

The second recommendation from the doctor was to avoid using the finger as much as possible while getting back to climbing and training. Easier said than done, but he has a good point. Part of the process will be training myself to avoid grabbing holds that will strain that particular finger. As climbers we rely on it quite a bit, but this doctor stated that the ring finger has 15% smaller bones and about the same amount less overall strength compared to the middle and index fingers. Unfortunately, he also said that climbers have a tendency to use the ring finger in ways that bear too much stress that could probably be avoided in many cases.

Over time this injury will heal as long as it doesn’t tear again. But every time it starts to hurt (due to tearing), the clock starts again on the healing process.

So now I’m at that delicate decision point of when and how to start back climbing. My tentative plan is to securely tape the injured area and start climbing again slowly on very easy climbs. I’ll likely stop every session short just to make sure I’m not pushing into that danger zone of re-injury and just see how things go. I’m also experimenting with cold water treatment to see if that helps.

I’d love to hear what everyone else has done with these kinds of injuries? Are there any treatments I’m not aware of? How long should one rest after getting a partial rupture of the A2 pulley?

{ 270 comments… read them below or add one }

251 zero turn mowers reviews April 24, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Spot on with this write-up, I really believe this web site needs far more
attention. I’ll probably be back again to see more, thanks for the advice!

252 สูตรลดน้ําหนักเร่งด่วน April 24, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Sіnce ouг Nutritionist & Diet Consultants understand tҺat everyone іs suffering frm lack οf time, so Liffe Century design еach & everty diet completely աith a nеw concept.
Managye ɑnd track ʏoսr гesults to maintain a bettеr, healthy lifestyle.
With a ցroup ߋf friends haѵing same goals can
also motivate үou, ɑոd can be posѕible of inspire а lot andd stick tߋ
yolur task.

253 chicken house plans April 24, 2014 at 8:03 pm

A Horizon Structures chicken coop makes getting started with your own chickens as
quick and easy as making scrambled eggs for breakfast.
In addition the these, other woods that are great for smoking include: Acacia,
Apple, Apricot, Birch, Black Walnut, Cherry, Fruit trees, Maple, Mulberry, Mesquite,
Peach, Pear, Pecan and Walnut. Two picture frames with window screen will
make the doors for the chicken coop.

254 Barcelona Sports Car Hire April 24, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I love what you guys are up too. Such clever work and exposure!
Keep up the very good works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to our blogroll.

255 best sewing machines April 24, 2014 at 8:16 pm

First off I would like to say superb blog!
I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.
I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind before writing.
I have had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there.

I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems
like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost just trying to figure out how to begin.
Any suggestions or hints? Kudos!

256 Calzoncillos Calvin Klein April 24, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a blogger,
and I was curious about your situation; many of us have developed some nice procedures and we are
looking to exchange techniques with others, please shoot me an e-mail if interested.

257 best electric toothbrush April 24, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I read this post completely concerning the comparison of newest and previous technologies, it’s remarkable article.

258 pirater un compte facebook April 24, 2014 at 9:18 pm

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she maintains the plan of a user in his/her brain that how a user can understand it.
Therefore that’s why this paragraph is outstdanding.
Thanks!

259 facebook proxy April 24, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Amazing issues here. I’m very happy to look your
post. Thank you a lot and I’m taking a look ahead to contact you.
Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

260 Click here! April 24, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Yes! Finally something about vigrx plus cheap.

261 website reviews April 24, 2014 at 9:36 pm

This information is invaluable. Where can I find out more?

262 clash of clans hack android April 24, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I know this web page gives quality dependent articles or reviews and extra data,
is there any other website which presents such things in quality?

263 GMC Yukon 2015 April 24, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Getting a limousine hired online is as easy as ABC. If that is your plan and you need a
full-sized pickup. Still after all these charges, hybrid cars can easily be repaired by all the automotive shops for their regular maintenance.

264 blogspot April 24, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Hey there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I’ll certainly digg it
and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be
benefited from this site.

265 best mouthwash April 24, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Someone necessarily help to make critically articles I’d state.
That is the very first time I frequented your web page
and up to now? I surprised with the research you made
to create this particular submit incredible.
Wonderful process!

266 minecraft force op 1.7.4 April 24, 2014 at 10:20 pm

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
Your website offered us with valuable information to work on.
You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

267 dzianina dresowa sklep internetowy April 24, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Excellent, what a blog it is! This webpage presents helpful facts to us, keep it up.

268 new balance April 24, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Because of the material these are made of, these
offer adequate friction if the surface is slippery.
With this boom in popularity came an explosion in the verity of equipment available.

269 breitling watch April 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Truly when someone doesn’t know then its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it
takes place.

270 ropa interior calvin klein guatemala April 24, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about injuries. Regards