Climbing and Startups

by Tom Markiewicz on June 9, 2010

I haven’t posted in a while, so I thought I’d share with everyone the reason why. I’ve been heads down for the past several months working on my new company, StatsMix. We’re building a web-based service that creates custom dashboards bringing together internal and external metrics in one place so businesses can make better decisions and gain insights.

StatsMix took TechStars founders out for a day of climbing in Boulder Canyon recently. I spoke about the relationship between climbing and building a startup in the following video taken during the trip (starting at 3:27 in the video):

If anyone is interested in trying out StatsMix, we’re currently in private beta so just leave your email on the StatsMix site and I’ll get you in as soon as possible.

{ 34 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Cullen King June 10, 2010 at 9:21 am

Climbing is one of my favourite activities – My co-founder and I try to get out fairly often. I enjoy climbing with my business partner because it’s a great activity outside of the business that adds another layer of trust and interaction between the two of us. If you can put your life in the hands of that person, it’s way easier to trust them with your business!

2 Mark July 30, 2010 at 6:56 am

Interesting concept and good luck w your company! may you be successful in your business ventures along w your travels!

3 Try Climbing September 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

Cheers – interesting video! ‘Everything is out of reach until you try’ – thought that was a great saying for both climbing and business.

Steve

4 Team Kilimanjaro October 28, 2010 at 1:27 am

Great video! Come climb up Kili with us next time :)

5 Seth April 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm

That was cool!

6 Climbing August 25, 2011 at 3:15 am

Rock climbing is climbing to the summit to a natural rock formation or climbing with the summit of a man made small gravel wall. It could also be climbing to somewhat of a designated endpoint on a new climbing route. It doesn’t always result in you’ve got to reach stomach muscles will better top.

7 trekking himalaya February 3, 2012 at 5:41 am

How’s the work going for StatsMix? Have you launched it yet? I think that you web-based service will be helpful to a lot of people. If the dashboards are easy to navigate I would love to have one.

8 wholesale rayban sunglasses February 26, 2012 at 6:43 am

How??s the work going for StatsMix? Have you launched it yet? I think that you web-based service will be helpful to a lot of people. If the dashboards are easy to navigate I would love to have one.

9 Pat | Learn To Paraglide March 13, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I love the idea of heading outdoors and exploring the beauty of our natural environment. Climbing is great, it can keep you in shape while leaving the best memories of the adventure.

10 Soccer for cleats March 19, 2012 at 7:25 pm

If the dashboards are easy to navigate I would love to have one.

11 mike April 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

hey fellow rock climbing buddys! I want to share with you a epic film called 180 south. If you have not seen this film yet. Well you are in for a real treat! head over to Monster Snag to grab a copy for a cheap rate! trust me its a film everyone has to see.

12 Rami James May 12, 2012 at 12:34 am

It’s interesting that you are talking about this now.

Me and a few other good climbing buddies have been working on a climbing and tech based startup since last august. We’re getting ready to launch a climbing trainer app called Climbing Monster for the iphone in june. It will have a log builder and history for keeping track of your progress and a unique algorithm for automatically building training sessions on the fly.

The startup atmosphere and climbing mix well together. You meet lots of dedicated, smart and ambitious people who absolutely love the sport.

FSM knows that I do :)

13 Trav May 28, 2012 at 7:38 am

I admire that doing your own business, and climbing. I’m actually working on the same thing. I think climbing and business really compliment each other, in both disciplines you only get what you put into it.

Climbing Training

14 tercüme bürosu May 30, 2012 at 11:20 am

Climbing is a really adventure. Its very funny to climb to the top of mountain and watch people stayind deep very deeeeeeppppppp….

15 tadilat işleri February 14, 2013 at 10:41 am

Thenks for sharing

16 michael kors sunglasses sale April 18, 2014 at 6:33 pm

louboutin un bout pink monkey [1 christian louboutin rosella flats]

17 82222.pink2.net April 19, 2014 at 1:01 am

I reside in an unique weather suggest. Because of manually wind it evening chill it is often for the reason that one of a kind given that Forty listed here. A good aunt we both buy often the Bailey Device 82222.pink2.net and consequently really like these folks. In addition they are cool with the rather long parkas together with capitals, however are and so trend setting. I didnrrrt notice s82222.pink2.netestions to be one half over all size smaller-sized when you consider that Normally bring about packed footwear you might like to to have excellent foot bonus design, and with no need of hosiery they believe flawless. I seemed to be definitely giddy another they begin to were only available all of the submit and hang up these guys in right (whether or not rrt had been Summer). I would personally purchase these 2million periods previously mentioned. Absolutely worth the cost!

18 684048.pink2.net April 19, 2014 at 1:50 am

My 16 yo has waited for a 684048.pink2.net for a few years now. I must say that i’m impressed together with the top quality.

19 ndz66.pink2.net April 19, 2014 at 2:24 am

everyone loves these kinds of ndz66.pink2.net a great deal i personally get all of them almost day to day they are really soo pleasant having said that i recomend purchase a scaled-down capacity rather than a average because there one half size larger i will be a real proportions 9 and yet i have a very small space or room through the ndz66.pink2.net. i’m sure acquire supplies i recieve ndz66.pink2.net i may receive a over all size On the lookout for.consumers keep in mind that purchase a copy you wont regrete the item!!!!!!

20 Christian Louboutins outlet April 19, 2014 at 3:20 am

christian louboutin piou piou 85mm python pumps [1 christian louboutin pigalle spikes]

21 replica christian louboutin April 19, 2014 at 6:33 am

christian louboutin balinodono ballerinas white on [1 christian louboutin peep toe pumps]

22 6228.pink2.net April 19, 2014 at 7:04 am

Irrrm a sucker for all the things approximately my current 6228.pink2.net, on the other hand required because of about half sized greater than I just usualy make use of. It could be many do a small amount of modest to get capacity?

23 迪爱度影院 April 19, 2014 at 8:47 pm

科科影院涵盖最新电影、好看的电影、经典电影、电影推荐、免费电影、高清电影在线观看及海量最新电影图文视频资讯!

24 84086l.pink2.net April 19, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Having been complications looking for 84086l.pink2.net which may protect my current legs vogue obtained in this New England wintertime and the happen to be last but not least folks that would the effort. I sang your own good remarks multiple times despite the fact that down plowing a new sleet. I mainly like they had a fabulous freezer closing with respect to easy training dressed in combined with out By the single thing Avoid difference. These work best 84086l.pink2.net I have ever selected and peruse forward to numerous years of savoring individuals.

25 gh-packaging.com April 20, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Fast shipping!!! 5 stars…

26 Celine Sale April 20, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Wow! Fast shipping and over a holiday!

27 louis vuitton men sunglasses April 21, 2014 at 3:48 am

christian louboutin huguette leather ankle boot [1 christian louboutin studded sneakers]

28 24846.pink2.net April 21, 2014 at 3:54 am

it’s not a new remark, i’d like to see a set these kind of and i wishes to fully grasp how intense 24846.pink2.net are. most definitely i’ll require to vessel the item ouside united states. thanks a lot!

29 five finger shoes for men April 21, 2014 at 10:44 am
30 cheap replica chanel wallets April 21, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Absolutely love it! Thank you

31 Burton Haynes April 22, 2014 at 11:59 am

I just want to mention I’m very new to weblog and actually loved you’re web blog. Almost certainly I’m want to bookmark your blog post . You amazingly come with fantastic articles. Bless you for sharing with us your webpage.

32 Cheap Sunglasses April 22, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Ray ban store shop on the internet together with whom she has been quite close up

33 Givenchy April 23, 2014 at 2:09 am

Excellent Seller A+++ a pleasure to buy from! Highly recommended.

34 mbt anti shoe uk April 23, 2014 at 5:55 am