Climbing and Startups

by Tom Markiewicz on June 9, 2010

I haven’t posted in a while, so I thought I’d share with everyone the reason why. I’ve been heads down for the past several months working on my new company, StatsMix. We’re building a web-based service that creates custom dashboards bringing together internal and external metrics in one place so businesses can make better decisions and gain insights.

StatsMix took TechStars founders out for a day of climbing in Boulder Canyon recently. I spoke about the relationship between climbing and building a startup in the following video taken during the trip (starting at 3:27 in the video):

If anyone is interested in trying out StatsMix, we’re currently in private beta so just leave your email on the StatsMix site and I’ll get you in as soon as possible.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Cullen King June 10, 2010 at 9:21 am

Climbing is one of my favourite activities – My co-founder and I try to get out fairly often. I enjoy climbing with my business partner because it’s a great activity outside of the business that adds another layer of trust and interaction between the two of us. If you can put your life in the hands of that person, it’s way easier to trust them with your business!

2 Mark July 30, 2010 at 6:56 am

Interesting concept and good luck w your company! may you be successful in your business ventures along w your travels!

3 Try Climbing September 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

Cheers – interesting video! ‘Everything is out of reach until you try’ – thought that was a great saying for both climbing and business.

Steve

4 Team Kilimanjaro October 28, 2010 at 1:27 am

Great video! Come climb up Kili with us next time :)

5 Seth April 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm

That was cool!

6 Climbing August 25, 2011 at 3:15 am

Rock climbing is climbing to the summit to a natural rock formation or climbing with the summit of a man made small gravel wall. It could also be climbing to somewhat of a designated endpoint on a new climbing route. It doesn’t always result in you’ve got to reach stomach muscles will better top.

7 trekking himalaya February 3, 2012 at 5:41 am

How’s the work going for StatsMix? Have you launched it yet? I think that you web-based service will be helpful to a lot of people. If the dashboards are easy to navigate I would love to have one.

8 wholesale rayban sunglasses February 26, 2012 at 6:43 am

HowÔ??s the work going for StatsMix? Have you launched it yet? I think that you web-based service will be helpful to a lot of people. If the dashboards are easy to navigate I would love to have one.

9 Pat | Learn To Paraglide March 13, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I love the idea of heading outdoors and exploring the beauty of our natural environment. Climbing is great, it can keep you in shape while leaving the best memories of the adventure.

10 Soccer for cleats March 19, 2012 at 7:25 pm

If the dashboards are easy to navigate I would love to have one.

11 mike April 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

hey fellow rock climbing buddys! I want to share with you a epic film called 180 south. If you have not seen this film yet. Well you are in for a real treat! head over to Monster Snag to grab a copy for a cheap rate! trust me its a film everyone has to see.

12 Rami James May 12, 2012 at 12:34 am

It’s interesting that you are talking about this now.

Me and a few other good climbing buddies have been working on a climbing and tech based startup since last august. We’re getting ready to launch a climbing trainer app called Climbing Monster for the iphone in june. It will have a log builder and history for keeping track of your progress and a unique algorithm for automatically building training sessions on the fly.

The startup atmosphere and climbing mix well together. You meet lots of dedicated, smart and ambitious people who absolutely love the sport.

FSM knows that I do :)

13 Trav May 28, 2012 at 7:38 am

I admire that doing your own business, and climbing. I’m actually working on the same thing. I think climbing and business really compliment each other, in both disciplines you only get what you put into it.

Climbing Training

14 terc├╝me b├╝rosu May 30, 2012 at 11:20 am

Climbing is a really adventure. Its very funny to climb to the top of mountain and watch people stayind deep very deeeeeeppppppp….

15 tadilat i┼čleri February 14, 2013 at 10:41 am